TMC / SAE Donald D. Dawson Technical Scholarship
SAE and The Maintenance Council of American Trucking Associations have established this technical education scholarship to honor the leadership of Donald D. Dawson. From his position as Vice President of Maintenance with Roadway Express, Mr. Dawson worked through SAE and TMC to merge the goals of truck equipment users and manufacturers.
As a transport equipment manager, Mr. Dawson combined extraordinary technical understanding and knowledge with vision and foresight to develop practical solutions to equipment problems and vehicle design. A dedicated, lifelong student of his profession and technology, he encouraged professional development in those with whom he worked.
This scholarship is intended to encourage the ideal of Mr. Dawson's respected technical competence in transport management.
Student Eligibility Requirements:
- U.S. citizenship (not permanent resident).
- 3.25 grade point average.
- SAT I math 600 or above and critical reading 550 or above and/or an ACT composite score 27 or above.
- Pursue an engineering degree through an ABET accredited program.
- Students transferring from accredited four-year colleges/universities must have a 3.0 or higher grade point average.
- Students transferring from post-secondary technical/vocational schools must have a 3.5 or higher grade point average and meet all other requirements of the engineering program to which they apply.
Terms of Scholarship:
- One scholarship will be awarded each year for $1,500 per year.
- Scholarship may be renewed at $1,500 a year for three additional years (total award $6,000).
Application Deadline: January 15
How to Apply:
- Begin the application process online.
- If you are qualified, you will be prompted to continue the process and submit the following:
- Official copy of your college transcript and high school transcript
- SAT/ACT scores
- An essay which demonstrates evidence of hands-on automotive experience or activity (e.g., rebuilding engines, working on cars/trucks, etc.).
- All in information must be submitted by January 15.
Selection and Announcement of Recipient:
- Recipient will be selected by the SAE Scholarship Committee and notified by the end of June.
- Applicants not selected will be notified by the end of July.
Payment of Scholarship Funds:
- This scholarship will be paid into your account at your selected university in July/August.
- It can be used for tuition or any other incidental school expenses.
Terms for Renewal of Scholarship: May be renewed for $1,500 per year for three additional years.
- Must maintain a 3.0 grade point average.
- Must continue enrollment in engineering.
- Complete the TMC/SAE Donald D. Dawson Technical Scholarship renewal form.
Questions can be directed to:
SAE Scholarships and Loans Program
400 Commonwealth Drive
Warrendale, PA 15096 USA