Spectator Policies and Procedures
"Spectator" - A "spectator" is defined as anyone who is not (a) a volunteer with event operating responsibilities, or (b) a member of a team with the proper credentials/identification. In most cases event operating volunteers and team members can be identified by their t-shirts, uniforms or credentials.
Spectators are welcome to observe CDS competitions from within the designated spectator areas and other parts of the site to which they are granted access. Spectators may not enter the course area. Spectators must obey the spectator rules and site use rules at all times and follow the instructions of the competition organizers and marshals.
- Spectators may enter
- Designated spectator areas - Spectator areas are always outside the course.
- Team paddocks
- Parking lots, food vendor areas, rest rooms and connecting walkways, roads or paths
- Spectators may not enter
- Technical Inspection Area including practice and testing sites
- Static Event Areas
- Dynamic Event Areas including practice tracks
- Any area with signs indicating "Restricted Access" or "No Access"
Spectators may not sit or stand on any barriers or fences.
Spectators who enter a restricted area may be ejected from the site.
Intrusion Shut Down
- If a spectator intrudes on to the flying field area during an event then immediately shut down the event until the course is clear. Intrusion Shutdown Procedure
- Display a red flag and radio the SAE Staff, Flight Boss and event organizer that the event is being shut down because of an intrusion. SAE Staff has ultimate authority. Restart
- Only the Flight Boss, organizer and SAE Staff can restart the event after a shut down.
- Student team members who are not part of the flight operating crew are considered to be spectators and must be treated like all other spectators. There are no exceptions for students. No matter what the reason student spectators may not enter the flying field unless authorized by the flight boss.
- There are no exceptions to the spectator rules. If a spectator does not follow the rules then he/she can be asked to leave the site.
- If a spectator crosses into an operating area or event course he/she must immediately be asked to return to the spectator area and, if appropriate, can be asked to leave the competition.
- Except for credentialed press photographers all photography must be done from within the designated spectator areas. Credentialed press photographers may be granted access to a designated photographer area under the terms of the separate Photographer Policy. Credentialed press photographers must identify themselves to the organizers and/or CDS staff in the registration area and comply with the photographer rules in effect at the event. Photographers who wander outside the spectator and photographer areas will be asked to leave.
- Maps showing the general layout of the competition site and the location of the Spectator Areas must be available to spectators. The Spectator Map must include the Permitted Access and Restricted Access list (above) and the location of those areas.