Finance Information for SAE Collegiate Chapters

SAE International is a 501(c)(3) organization, and thus, exempt from federal income tax. It is also classified as a public charity under sections 509(a)(1) and 170(b)(1)(A)(vi) of the Internal Revenue Code. SAE Collegiate Chapters and SAE Collegiate Design Series™ teams are considered SAE International, not independent entities.

Federal Tax ID Number
The Federal Employer Identification number (EIN) for SAE International is 25-1494402.

Bank Accounts
All banking and investment accounts for your Collegiate Chapter should be opened using the SAE International EIN.

Take the following documents when opening a bank account:

SAE files consolidated tax returns for all states and Canada. Therefore, SAE Collegiate Chapters are not to file any tax returns.

State Tax Exemptions
SAE is exempt from state sales and use tax in several states. Find the list of states and the exemption form here.

SAE Collegiate Chapters and Clubs may obtain financial support through a variety of sources, including:

Your Collegiate Chapter is eligible to receive tax deductible bequests, devises, transfers or gifts under section 2055, 2106 or 2522 of the Internal Revenue Code.

Request a tax receipt for sponsors and donors.

SAE Staff Contact:
Allison Hostetler
Local Activity Specialist
Phone: 724-772-4079

* This is a .pdf file. You’ll need the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view it.