Overview of SAE Collegiate Chapters
Collegiate Chapters are a way for SAE International Student Members to get together on their campus and develop skills in a student run and elected environment. Student members are vital to the continued success and future of SAE and Collegiate Chapters on campus are a great way to develop valuable skills.
While your course work teaches you the engineering knowledge you need, participation in your SAE Collegiate Chapter can develop or enhance other important skills, including: leadership, time management, project management, communications, organization, planning, delegation, budgeting and finance.
SAE Collegiate Chapters provide a valuable service to students, including:
- Increasing the technical knowledge of members through Chapter or Section meetings and guest speakers supported by SAE International through the Industrial Lecture Series
- Providing a forum to discuss industry issues and trends
- Creating opportunities to network with faculty and industry professionals
- Developing a camaraderie with other students and your Faculty Advisor
- Promoting SAE membership on your campus
- Dues reimbursements to use for your Chapter Programming
- Encouraging grade school students to develop an interest in science and math by volunteering in your local A World In Motion program
SAE Collegiate Chapter activities are administered by students as elected officers. They provide students with an experience that simulates running a business or an organization. As a student officer, you'll "set yourself apart from the pack" and increase your visibility to recruiters.
By networking with your local Professional Section, you will have an opportunity to meet practicing engineers in the mobility industry. Student officers are counseled by the SAE Faculty Advisor but may also be mentored by members of their local Professional SAE Section.
You may also choose to get involved in one of the SAE Collegiate Design Competitions. In addition to having fun and meeting great friends, you'll experience integrated project management, giving you the opportunity to realistically simulate your future in engineering. These competitions provide an exceptional engineering experience and allow you to apply your course work in a real world application. You'll experience the various phases of design, manufacturing, budgeting and costing, materials selection, testing and quality control, etc. During the actual competition, you'll be asked to explain what decisions you made and why to the judges. And of course, you'll love the thrill of the dynamic and endurance events.
Your experience with SAE International can range from STEM Programming, Networking with your local Section Members, or participating in your Chapter as an officer by scheduling programming and meetings.
For more information or how to find your SAE Collegiate Chapter please visit our webpage.
The SAE Collegiate Chapter functions according to its Constitution and such general rules as may be outlined by the SAE International Education Board, SAE International Student Activities Committee and the SAE International Board of Directors. It must, of course, abide by the SAE International Constitution and By-Laws.
Due to limitations in SAE's constitution and its non-profit status, it is also necessary that certain restrictions be placed on Collegiate Chapters to promote only programs in the scientific and technical fields. Therefore, SAE Collegiate Chapters may not directly or indirectly:
- Engage in activities to exert political pressure or influence.
- Participate in programs relating to employer / employee relations or to problems dealing with the economic status of the engineer.
- Endorse or condemn any commercial product by direct or indirect action.
NOTE: Universities in countries where we have SAE Affiliate programs should contact their SAE Affiliate directly for information on organizing their SAE Collegiate Chapter.