Per section 11 of the rules:
- Individual team members must be enrolled as degree seeking undergraduate or graduate students. Team members who have graduated during the seven (7) month period prior to the competition remain eligible to participate.
- All participants must be at least eighteen (18) years old to participate.
- Individual team members must be members of at least one of the following societies: (1) SAE or an SAE affiliate society, (2) ATA, or (3) IMechE. Proof of membership, such as a membership card, is required at the event.
- All on-site participants and faculty advisors are required to sign a liability waiver upon registration. Individual medical and accident insurance coverage is the sole responsibility of the participant.
- Aircraft may only compete in one class. Simultaneous entry in Open, Regular, and Micro class, with the same aircraft, is not allowed. When a team has an identical aircraft as a back-up, the back-up aircraft must go through inspection with the primary aircraft. If the entire back-up aircraft is used in competition, previously earned flight points are forfeited and flight point scoring starts over.