Per Section A in the rules:
- Team members must be enrolled as degree seeking undergraduate or graduate students in a college or university. Team members who have graduated during the seven (7) month period prior to the competition remain eligible to participate.
- Team members must be members of at least one of the following: (1) SAE International, (2) SAE Australasia, (3) SAE Brasil, (4) ATA, (5) IMeche, or (6) VDI. Proof of membership is required at competition.
- Team members must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
- Team members who will drive a competition vehicle at any time during the competition must hold a valid, government issued driver’s license.
- All onsite participants and faculty are required to sign a liability waiver upon registering onsite. Individual medical insurance coverage is required and is the sole responsibility of the participant.
- Formula SAE events are restricted to one team per university per event.
- Formula SAE and Formula SAE West will be restricted for one month after registration opens to allow teams to register for one event only. After the month restriction is lifted, universities can register for the other event.