This scholarship, established by Hendrickson International, honors the late Edward D. Hendrickson, a pioneer in the commercial vehicle industry.
Edward's father, Magnus Hendrickson, started his truck manufacturing company in 1913 and the company - as well as the Hendrickson family - became known for their contributions to trucking innovation. Many of the innovations created by Hendrickson in those early days are still used in trucks and other heavy equipment today.
Edward Hendrickson joined his father's company in the mid 1920's after graduating from high school. He served as company president from 1964 to 1975 and chairman from 1975 to 1978. He was one of the founders of the Truck-Trailer Manufacturers Association and The American Truck Historical Society has listed him as an industry founder.
Mr. Hendrickson was deeply committed to the truck industry and was considered one of the foremost authorities on truck suspensions in the nation. He was active in SAE, where he chaired local, regional, and national committees and published several papers on truck suspension systems.
Student Eligibility Requirements:
- U.S. resident.
- 3.75 grade point average.
- Rank in the 90th percentile in both math and critical reading on SAT I or composite ACT scores.
- Pursue an engineering or related science degree through an ABET accredited program.
Terms of Scholarship:
- One scholarship will be awarded each year for $5,000 per year.*
- Scholarship may be renewed at $5,000 a year for three additional years (total award $20,000).*
*starting the 2015-2016 academic year.
Selection and Announcement of Recipient:
- Recipient will be selected by the SAE Scholarship Committee and notified by the end of June.
- All SAE Scholarship winners will be posted in July/August.
Payment of Scholarship Funds:
- This scholarship will be paid into your account at your selected university in July/August.
- It can be used for tuition or any other incidental school expenses.