Established in 2007 through a generous contribution from Toyota, this scholarship was created in memory of the late David Hermance to recognize his contributions to hybrid and advanced technology vehicles in North America. Mr. Hermance was Executive Engineer for Advanced Technology Vehicles at the Toyota Technical Center in Gardena, California and was a major force behind the Prius hybrid. He was a "passionate advocate for the hybrid car" who testified before Congress about alternative-fuel vehicles. Mr. Hermance didn't invent the gasoline-electric engine, but the Toyota executive made it palatable to a skeptical U.S. public. He dedicated his energies to championing this technology. Hermance joined Toyota in 1991 as a senior manager, then became a general manager in the company's powertrain department. Before that, he was with General Motors for a quarter-century, working on vehicle emissions and durability test development. Mr. Hermance died in 2006 when his aerobatic plane crashed off the Southern California coast. This scholarship is in honor of the man often called the "American father" of Toyota's popular Prius hybrid. This scholarship recognizes the importance of advanced technology in the development of future vehicles. Exciting developments in hybrids, fuel cells, alternative fuels, and advanced powertrains will play a key role in achieving sustainable mobility and Toyota is committed to providing vehicles that customers can use with pride and joy. This scholarship was established through the SAE Foundation to ensure an adequate supply of well-trained engineers for the future. Student Eligibility Requirements:
- U.S. resident.
- College sophomore at the time of application.
- 3.50 or better grade point average on a 4.0 scale.
- Pursue an engineering or related degree through an ABET accredited program.
- Enroll in a two- or four-year engineering or science program at an accredited college or university.
- One $2,500 scholarship will be awarded each year.
- Recipient will be selected by the SAE Scholarship Committee and notified by the end of June.
- This scholarship will be paid into your account at your selected university in July/August.
- It can be used for tuition or any other incidental school expenses.